CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Past 15 Months

I'm going to steal Lala's idea here, I feel like I need to start off fresh.

The past 15 months have been a crazy roller coaster with ups and downs, twists, and turns and here it is in a nutshell.

December 28, 2007 we found out my dad had esophagus cancer. I was away in Kansas going to school and playing basketball. In January I made the choice to leave my team and school to come home and take care of my dad and help my sister if need be.

In February I started dating someone who I'd met in August 2 weeks before I went to school. Clearly 2 weeks wasn't enough time to get to know someone or start something so we just remained friends...well until February. He got deployed in April and sent home in October because his knee was pretty messed up. Shortly after Christmas we decided to call it quits.

In July we got good news that my dads tumor had shurnk 20% and we made a decision to send me back to Kansas to finish school in August.

In December I come home for my 10 days of Christmas Break (it was short cause I was also a student assistant coach) and I get a bomb dropped on me. The Dr. calls 2 days after my dad's CT scan and tells us that things have gotten worse. The tumor is bigger, his lymph nodes have more cancer, and he now has leisons on his liver. Back to Kansas I go but just for 2 weeks to talk to professors and get everything I need to come back home.

I come home in January and here I am now. I'm finishing up my degree by emailing my professors all of the assignments while taking care of my dad every day. It used to be that good days were days when my dad felt like going to the gym or taking the dog for a walk. Now good days are when my dad will eat a whole plate of food, and by a whole plate, it's not adult servings, more like the size of a kids meal.

4 comments:

Not a Granny said...

You have had a hard 15 months! I am still sending positive thoughts your way.

Unknown said...

I like the new blog. I should be back soon- within a week or so, maybe less. Life changes so fast.

Glo said...

You've had a hard 15 months. Your a strong young women. I pray God will help you through all of this. I'm also sending positive thoughts your way. I think your a very breave,kind and wonderful person.

Write Before Sleep said...

Just to let you all know --- Kayli's father passed away early Monday morning, March 17, 2008. Kayli is doing well for her circumstances. Please say prayers of comfort for her.

Jo Ann (the soldier's mother)